For TA or Reader and Tutors (Graduate and Undergraduate) employment questions, please contact Amber Rieder. For all other student employment questions, please see below or contact Cathleen Schangali.
View 2017/18 GSR Costs
Quarterly calls for GSR hires are sent out by EDS staff. If you missed the call, please email Amber Rieder with the following:
- Student's Name and PID
- Requested start and end dates
- Funding source/index number
- Requested percent of
Funding source and employment limits will be reviewed and requests forwarded to EDS staff for official system entry. You will receive either a confirmation or follow up
Keep in mind that student status limits total employment to 50% during the academic year (defined as the first day of Fall quarter through the last day of Spring quarter), all current positions combined.
Exceptions may be requested for domestic students only. Unfortunately, student visa status prohibits employment over 50% during the academic year.
*Special justification will be requested for students who are registered at a different UC location. Unfortunately, we cannot hire students outside of the UC system.
All undergrad positions must go through UCSD Career Services before a hire can be made. To initiate a request, email Cathleen Schangali with the following:
- Brief job description or bullet points of primary duties
- Desired start and end dates
- Approximate hours per week
- Hourly rate you want to offer (most commonly between $12-$20/hr) and index you'd like to use
Additionally, if you have already selected a student:
- Name and PID of student
- Do they have any near relatives working for UCSD?
- Justification to hire this particular student vs. open recruitment (ex. they have taken your course and have already demonstrated
abilityto do the work/are familiar with the project/etc.)
Cathleen will create the job card and either post the position or request permission to hire.
Students are not to begin work without approval. You will be notified by email with the approved start date as soon as possible.